Helensburgh group hoping to retain woodland’s Local Nature Reserve status
Read the Advertiser article on our Twitter account
Extract from the Herald 26th Dec
‘Dust off the Christmas cobwebs ( One of ten Walks in Scotland to walk off Christmas)
Duchess Wood, Helensburgh
Just a short walk from the centre of Helensburgh lies the Duchess Wood. It is large enough to feel like you have escaped civilisation, but short enough that you can loop around it in less than an hour. Dogs will love running around and exploring the forest, while kids can enjoy spotting squirrels and birds between the trees.’
As highlighted in the Autumn Newsletter the 2020 AGM will be held on Tuesday 26th January 2021 at 7:30pm. Due to current covid-19 restrictions the meeting will be held by Zoom. This impacts the meeting in two ways:
- The time for the meeting will have to be limited to 40 minutes so the agenda will be somewhat constrained. For this meeting we will not be inviting any motions from members.
- We are limited to the numbers that can attend and places will be allocated on a “first come first serve” basis. Therefore if you would like to attend this virtual AGM please let me know by cop Friday 15th January. ( email email@example.com)
- Instructions and links to the meeting will be sent out week commencing 18th January.
The agenda will be:
- To receive and approve the annual report of the Executive Committee. This will be forwarded to members in the new year.
- To receive and approve the annual statement of accounts. This will be forwarded to members in the new year.
- To approve the appointment of any office bearers.
- To elect members to the Executive Committee.
- To approve a financial examiner.
The Friends of Duchess Wood wish you all Seasonal Greetings and a better 2021
FODW IN THE ADVERTISER
Follow this link for the latest news https://www.helensburghadvertiser.co.uk/news/18867615.duchess-wood-helensburgh-group-slams-litter-louts-fire-bugs/?fbclid=IwAR0qjR8NG67vakTE_tLMCmuxrGxp1_IaPQygnBo8xZUDafwPhPCUc7d7Obw
AMAZON SMILE Please consider supporting Friends of Duchess Woods when shopping on AMAZON by using this link https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ch/SC039527
RUBBISH BINS Whilst the future of bin collections is discussed between Argyll and Bute Council and Luss Estates, LEC are continuing to empty bins although this service can not be guaranteed in the longer term.
BMX BIKES We are aware that there has been some work in the wood by persons unknown in constructing a BMX cycle course. We have been in discussion with both Luss Estates (owner) and Argyll and Bute Council (manager) of the woods and it appears that, despite neither having been approached for permission to do the work from an access point of view walkers, horses and bikes can exercise their right to access as long as they are responsible. From the photos there appears to be nothing terribly permanent about the structures and there is no sufficient engineering aspects that would call for planning department involvement. The council view is that they have only enhanced the lumps, bumps and shapes that already exist.
We encourage all uses to make use of the wood in a responsible manner being cognizant and sympathetic of other users.
DOG WASTE – GOOD NEWS Argyll and Bute Council has now resumed emptying of the Dog Waste Bins .
During the current phase of the covid-19 crisis we will not be organising any voluntary activity in the wood for the foreseeable future. In the meantime there is a significant amount of information available to help you keep safe – including guidance on keeping fit and taking exercise. Good starting points are https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus and https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults
We wish you well during this challenging time.
Future of Local Nature Reserve Status for Duchess Woods
Friends of Duchess Woods have now been informed by Argyll and Bute Council that the Duchess Woods are now officially open now that they have completed work on trees and fences etc